Bread : Pita bread 6 to 8 nos, slit open the pockets
For the filling of the pockets:
- Boiled chana/chickpeas – 1 cup
- Onions – 2 tbsp chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 nos sliced
- Cabbage – ½ cup shredded
- Lettuce leaves – 1 cup assorted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hung curd – 1 cup beaten
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Mustard paste – 1 tsp
- Chaat masala – ½ tsp
- Chopped capsicums – 2 tbsp
- Roasted crushed peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Chopped mint and coriander leaves – 2 tbsp mix
- Prepare all the ingredients for the sandwich.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together the hung curd and other ingredients and mix well.
- Combine together the chickpeas and other ingredients together and bind them well in curd.
- Check for seasonings and stuff this wholesome filling into the slit pita pockets and serve them with sticks of carrots/cucumbers/celery and a healthy shake as a meal.
Chef’s variations :
- Try a filling with chicken tikka, mayonnaise and bell peppers as an option for the pita pockets.
- Leftover subzis like jeera aloo, methi aloo, etc. can also be used up as a filling by mixing it up with hung curd/mayo or a combination spread like pesto mayo or a schezuan mayo spread.
- Try chicken sausages, chicken salami, bacon etc. too as a filling for the pita pockets, add tomato ketchup to mayo or fried brown onions to the spread as well for a varied taste.