- Broccoli – 300 gms, cut into florets and blanch
- Steamed white rice – 2 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Star anise – 2 nos
- Sliced garlic – 1 tsp
- Onions – ¼ cup chopped
- Chicken cubes – 1 cup cut into 1 inch pieces
- Diced capsicums – ½ cup assorted
- Sprouts – ½ cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mixed herbs and chilli flakes to taste
- White sauce – 1 cup
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
- Water/veg/chicken stock – as needed
- White wine- 2 tbsp – optional
- Parmesan or any processed cheese – ¼ cup grated
Carrots/beans/cauliflower/snow peas can also be added in the pot rice for more colour and crunch.
Sauces like black bean, hoisin, pepper, schezuan etc. can also be used to add saucier texture to the pot rice as needed.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the recipe.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan, add in the star anise, onions, garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add in the chicken cubes and saute, add little water or stock as needed and allow chicken to cook.
- Add in the assorted veggies of your choice and toss them well.
- Add seasonings, herbs and spice/wine as needed, add in white sauce, cream and adjust the texture.
- Add in the cooked white rice and mix well, simmer for 4 to 5 mins
- Serve hot garnished with grated cheese of your choice/olives/fried onions/fresh herbs/nuts and seeds of your choice like sunflower/pumpkin/mix seeds.
Chef’s variations :
- Try adding variety of mushrooms to the pot rice, water chestnuts also go well with chicken in the same recipe.
- A variety of greens go well too like baby spinach leaves, bokchoy, chinese cabbage, brussel sprouts etc.
To read more about our healthy Broccoli salads, click here.