“She has a way with words, red lipstick, and making an entrance” – Kate Spade
Makeup should be used to enhance and accentuate facial features and this is where lipstick plays a major role as it instantly completes the entire makeup look. The lips are immediate attention getters and the effect lipstick can have in creating a gorgeous, glamorous, traditional, simple, or even a bridal look is amazing. This is one makeup ritual most women indulge in all over the world, whatever the age, be it young girls or the elderly, even if they do not wear any other makeup on their face, lipstick is the one cosmetic accessory all women possess to get that dressed up look for any occasion.
Certain amazing techniques can actually enhance your lips and the various colour options can define your personality.
Buffing your lips is a very easy first step to slough off the dry flakes before lipstick application. A soft, damp bristle toothbrush can often do the trick, or else you can also use lip scrubs that are available in many addictive flavours like mint, orange, rose, lemon to gently buff the lips. After buffing, layer them with a liberal coat of lip balm to create supple and smooth lips, keep the balm on for a while before you blot away the excess with a tissue.
Finding the right shade is not too difficult, just look into a mirror with a clean makeup free face and try out different lip shades. Your mirror will be your best judge and help you decide the colours that are complimentary to your skin tone, enhancing both your skin and hair colour. You will immediately notice that some colours will actually radiate and glow on your skin while others give a dull look and do not compliment your appearance at all. There are many options of lip wear these days, choose from soft muted colours and glossy ones for a natural look, to shimmery, metallic, frosted, bright creamy matt and intense liquid colours to turn you into a glamorous diva.
Creativity with colours and trying out new techniques is a lot of fun, whether its the classic reds, the deep browns, the cool pinks or the intense plum and burgundy, remember that many of them can be easily mixed and blended to create new colours of your choice. A flesh tone or a beige lipstick is a must have in your lipstick pouch as it helps in toning down colours and needless to say that it has it’s own colour effect with neutral colours too. Mix and match is the order of the day and matching your red outfit with a red lipstick is a personal perspective, the idea being that your lip colour should blend with your clothes and the rest of the makeup you wear.
Filling in lipstick with a brush gives a more accurate and richer application especially when bright and dark colours are applied. Weave the magic of going from morning to an evening look with just a quick and clever change of lip colour. Maybe from subtle to bold or from matt to shimmer.
Your lip kit should have your favourite lip pencils, a flat narrow lip brush, a lipstick palette, some subtle and bold lipstick pots and tubes coupled with lip gloss so you can always mix and match and try out different looks. However, always remember that as much as you would love to continue using your favourite mauves and pinks don’t forget to check on expiry dates and toss out any old lipsticks that need to go as these can be a huge health hazard and toxic too.
Beauty Tips and Tricks
- Take a lip pencil and line your lips following the contours of your lips and fill in with the same pencil. Go over the entire lips with a matching lipstick ensuring that lipstick is applied to the inner corner of the lips and not the outer.
- To achieve a more defined precise look, line your lips with a firm, moderately smooth lip pencil starting on the top centre of your lips by forming an X at the cupid’s bow and then line the lower lips. Blend and soften this line onto your lips with a lip brush, now fill in with a lip colour and trace over the lip line again with the same pencil.
- To achieve plumper lips apply some creamy highlighter on the cupid’s bow in the final step after lipstick application.
- Liquid lipstick wands work as applicators. Most of them are highly pigmented, quick drying formulas so they give a rather rich effect.
- If you enjoy wearing neutral lip colours then you can probably do without a brush. Line your lips with a flesh toned pencil and just put on the neutral colour. A transparent stain or just a shimmery lip gloss can look rather amazing when you are not in a mood for too much colour especially in the hot summer months.
- Dot some concealer on the lips spread it evenly with a brush and dust over with translucent powder. Starting with the cupid’s bow on the upper lip and then from the corners of the lower lip draw your lip line extending it a little below the centre of the lip to make a concave line. Fill in the lipstick and thus create the pout. Now correct the lip corners with a little foundation on a brush for instant dimension.
- If you want to give your pout a little more sizzle add some gold dust on the centre lower lip only.
- Bright shades of lipstick normally emphasize thin lips so toning down the colour and giving a miss to the lip liner will be a good idea, instead try dark colours like currant or berry brown for a fuller effect.
- Drink your umpteen cups of coffee without the embarrassment of transferring lipstick onto cups. Here’s how you can give your lipstick more staying power. Line your lips, apply non glossy lipstick and rest a single ply tissue on it with powder going over the tissue, followed by a re-application of pencil and lipstick and avoiding lip gloss totally.
So go ahead, wear that lipstick and start your day with a bright, beautiful and colourful smile.
For more such beauty tips and tricks, Click here.