Bread : Sliced bread/subs/ multi-grain /brown bread as per choice
For the Pesto spread :
- Fresh basil leaves – 1 cup
- Garlic -1 tsp chopped
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Cashews -2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Chilled water – 2 tbsp
- Grated cheese – 1 tbsp
- Blend the above to a chutney mix with 1 tbsp of butter, mix well and chill
For the choice of Vegetables:
- Sliced green/yellow zucchini – 1 cup, grilled
- Sliced eggplant/brinjal – 8 to 10 slices, grilled or baked
- Sliced mushrooms – 1 cup, sauteed in 1 tsp oil with salt and pepper
- Sliced tomatoes – ½ cup
- Lettuce leaves – 1 cup as per choice
- Cheese slice – 2 to 3 optional
- Olives – 5 to 6 sliced
- Prepare the ingredients for the sandwich.
- Prepare the pesto chutney, blend with butter and keep chilled.
- Arrange the bread, apply the spread on the slices and arrange the lettuce leaves and veggies as per choice.
- Place cheese slices if desired, olives and other ingredients like shredded colourful capsicums, sun-dried tomatoes etc.
- Cover the sandwiches, secure them well and serve immediately with a bowl of fresh greens.
- Try the above sandwich with a filling of sauteed prawns in little olive oil and garlic and place them in the sandwich.
- Try poached boneless fish fillets or grilled fish in the same sandwich, it goes well with the pesto spread.
- For more wholesome veg, we can use grilled paneer or tofu slices as well in the same sandwich.